Tuesday 1 May 2018

Supertramp - Supertramp (1970)


The debut album from this British band.

Supertramp was a quartet with a lineup of cello, harmonica, drums, percussion, flageolet, organ, piano, electric piano, balalaika, guitars, bass and vocals.

Supertramp is legends and I have got all their albums up for reviews this year........ starting with this one.

Was Supertramp truly a progressive rock band ? I have no idea. But I have heard the labels "pomp pop" and "progressive pop" being used on them. I find that intriguing. That explains my interest in this band and their albums. I also happens to love their Paris live album.

The basis in this album is flowery pop music. The roots are still in the 1960s. The music is also pretty jazzy and proves that the band can play.

The music is also pretty intricate and Roger Hodgson's vocals is very good. The music is indeed pretty quirky. The best song here is the twelve minutes long prog rock song Try Again. A very good song.

The album clocks in at fifty minutes and it is a nice album. Decent or good ? It lands somewhere between those two absolutes. Hence the rating.

2.5 points






No comments:

Post a Comment