Friday 6 April 2018

Montrose - Paper Money (1974)


The second album from this US band.

Montrose was a quartet with a lineup of guitars, bass, keyboards, drums and vocals. 

I very much liked their self-titled 1973 debut album and you can find my review of it here. I am reviewing their four albums these days, forty years after I heard about this band for the first time. It has taken me until (well, two years ago) to get their four albums.

Sammy Hagar was still at the microphone. He later left after one too many bust ups with the guitar maestro and band-owner Ronnie Montrose. 

The band wanted to broaden the horizons on this album after their debut album. A very heavy and bombastic heavy metal album.

Montrose still slightly sounds like a US version of Led Zeppelin. But there is also a couple of more ballads here and the catchy title track.

This album still rocks out and it is pretty heavy. Not as heavy as today's heavy metal genre. But still pretty heavy. 

The title track is the only good track here. The rest of the tracks on this thirty-five minutes long album is decent enough and the sound is good. I still think this is a good band and worth the wait.

2.5 points 

 

1 comment:

  1. I first bought this record before the 70s were done. Its a part of my life in a way. Now I really loathe Sammy Hagar but on this he's quite good. I think it was the mid 80s...just before Van Hagar when he started to rub me the wrong way... This album is classic 70s US hard rawk and deserves to be heard and heard LOUD!

    ReplyDelete