Sunday 19 November 2017

Opeth - Sorceress (2016)


The 12th album from this Swedish band.

Opeth was a quintet on this album with a lineup of bass, drums, guitars, harpsicord, mook, mellotron, grand piano, organ and vocals.
They had help from some strings and some spoken words too.

I have reviewed their albums both in this blog and in # 1 of this blog for the last years and have found a band who has changed from being a good death metal band to a........ I am not so sure. But you can read my reviews of their album somewhere else in this blog and in # 1 of this blog.

Which Opeth do I prefer ? I find death metal dull now and do not listen to death metal at all. On the other hand, I am not so sure about the new prog rock version of Opeth either.

In short; Opeth has split my opinion right down the middle and I am not really sure what I mean about them.

Sorceress is an album where the band expands on their previous album Pale Communion. They take their music deeper into progressive music. The music here is more dynamic than on Pale Communion. Which is a good thing.

There is still parts of their music that does not work at all. Their ambient stuff does not really work at all. The more dynamic stuff is at times very good. But there is not enough of it.

This is barely a good album from a band still on a progressive journey. I wonder where that journey will take them. Only Opeth knows the answer.

3 points
 


No comments:

Post a Comment