Thursday 10 August 2017

Tangle Edge - Tarka (1997)


The fourth album from this Norwegian band.

Tangle Edge is a trio with a lineup of guitars, bass, electronics, drums, moog, synths and all kinds of percussions and drums.

This band released eight albums between 1989 and 2010. I do not know what they are up to now. Maybe a long break or they are no more. They have left eight albums behind them for us to listen to and enjoy. I have only got this album though from them.

This is an album I almost gave up on before I pulled myself together and collected my thoughts. I am glad I did that.

The music here is mostly improvised soundscapes somewhere between raga rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock, post-rock and jazz. As simple difficult as that.

The album is one hour long. The music is anchored by a pulsating bass, drums, percussions and some electronica. On the top of that, mostly one single electric guitar are driving forward the music and melody. The music is mostly raga dominated with a lot of Indian twists.

That does not make the most dynamic, straight in the face music. That is everything this album is not. But the music is like a journey through a soundscape on a planet far away from here. And that makes this album something special. It is not a great album. But it is a good album indeed. Something very far from the beaten track who still works and makes sense.

This is indeed a good album and one to check out.

3 points

  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment