Friday 12 January 2018

Drifting Sun - Twilight (2017)


The fifth album from this multi-national London based band.

The band is a quintet on this album with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and vocals.

I reviewed their third album, the 2015 album Trip The Life Fantasic back in July 2015 for # 1 of this blog. I was not that impressed. You can read my review here.

Drifting Sun has always been a neo-prog band and is also a neo-prog band on this album. The songs are on average eight minutes long. Eight songs in one hour.

The songs are reasonably symphonic too with a lot of pomp and dramatic vocals and keyboards. Ditto for the guitars.

The music is not particular hard although I can understand why fans of progressive metal would lap up this album. But it is not a progressive metal album although the keyboards are in that vein.

I have to admit I am still not impressed by this band. The art of good song-writing has bypassed this band and this album. The sound is good, but the feeling of listening to a run of the mill neo-prog album arrives pretty soon into the album and never really leaves me.

The music is cosy and nice. But never good. I cannot fault the musicianship and the vocals. Hence the rating.

2.5 points


No comments:

Post a Comment