Thursday 8 February 2018

Mother Turtle - II (2016)


The second album from this Greece band.

Mother Turtle is a sextet with a lineup of flute, violin, saxophone, keyboards, guitars, bass, drums, ukulele and vocals. Both male and female vocals.
They have had help from two other vocalists too.

I really liked their 2013 self-titled debut album. A good journey through everything 1970s prog rock. So I was looking forward to the follow up.

Mother Turtle has expanded to a sextet and expanded their sound too. There is a lot more sound on this album.

The three minutes long sound collage The Towers, which is about 9/11 and the falling Twin Towers, is a painful to hear sound collage. Not that I disagree with it. Far from it. But it brings back some really awful memories from that day. One of the worst days in my life. The sound collage is poignant and very good. It also makes my skin crawl. A great tribute to those who perished that day.

Besides of that, the band again visits the 1970s and the more pastoral parts of those days rock and prog rock.

The quality has dropped a lot, I am afraid. There is no good songs and the forty-five minutes of music is pretty dull, I am sorry to report. The result is an album somewhere between decent and good.

2.5 points


No comments:

Post a Comment