Friday 17 November 2017

Strawbs - Strawbs (1969)


The debut album from this British band.

Strawbs was a trio on this album with Dave Cousins, Tony Hooper and Ron Chesterman on vocals, guitars and bass. I believe Tony Visconti did the producing here and added a lot of xtra sounds and wizardry. It was one of his first jobs as a producer and he later did a lot of producing for David Bowie.

I am not sure if Strawbs is the first fully recorded album from Strawbs. They recorded an album with the utterly fantastic Sandy Denny and another album before this album, Strawbs, saw the light of day.

I have previously done a couple of reviews of their albums for ProgArchives back in 2009 and these reviews can be found here and here.
It is my intentions to review those Strawbs albums I have got in my collection in the coming months/you will find other reviews of Strawbs albums somewhere else in this blog.

It is something I have been looking forward to for a long time, sinking my ears and brain into the remaining Strawbs albums. I am an admirer of Dave Cousins and Strawbs. Their music, that is.

This 1969 is pure folk rock though and it is pretty basic music too with vocal harmonies, guitars, bass and studio wizardry. The song The Battle was showing the way forward for this band though.

The end result is a decent to good album which still has the ability to please anyone into folk and progressive rock.

2.5 points 

No comments:

Post a Comment