Monday 1 January 2018

Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash (1970)


The debut album from this British band.

Wishbone Ash was a quartet with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums and vocals.

This band and this album introduced twin-guitars attacks in rock'n'roll and the world was never the same after that. As I am a fan of Iron Maiden and the early stuff of Slayer, I have always been aware of this band. I have always wanted to explore them more.

But being a whimsical person, that time has not arrived until now. I reviewed their Argus album for ProgArchives back in May 2011 and you can read my review here. I have also got the Andy Powel biography (book). So I am reading to start my reviews of the two handful of their albums I have got. This is the first day of 2018, the first review of this new year.

The album starts as I expected as a blues and boogie album. They got a minor hit with the opening blues-boogie, twin guitars attack Blind Eye song. A good song.

The album, this forty minutes long album, then takes a psychedelic space direction. More guitars and some really good guitars follows on some good tracks. I am surprised ! But not negative surprised.

Then we get some beat and some rather rock'n'roll stuff. And then we finish with some rather nice psych blues stuff.

There is no denying that this is a guitars album. The vocals, bass and drums is also good. The same goes for the songs.

I am rather surprised by this album as I expected a run of the mill hard blues album. I was wrong and I find that pleasing. I think I will rather like their albums and 2018.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment