Tuesday 14 November 2017

Horizont - The Portrait Of A Boy (1989)


The second and final album from this Russian band.

The band was a sextet on this album wth a lineup of guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, flute and some vocals.

I reviewed their debut album, the 1986 album Summer In Town one week or so ago. It was a good album in the direction of ELP and Yes. You can read my review here.

I was warned by reviews in ProgArchives that The Portrait Of A Boy was an avant-garde/RIO album. So I mentally prepared myself for an onslaught of weirdness....

....Which did not appear. OK, the music here is not really easy-listening. But it is not that esoteric as I was warned it would be.

There is actually a lot of Jean Michel Jarre in this music. Music which also has some influences from the likes of Univers Zero and Present too. But not that much.

There is a lot of airy symphonic stuff on this album. A forty minutes long album. There is a lot of things to really like here and to feel comfortable with. This album is that melodic.

The end result is another good album from this Russian band. An album in the Russian tradition and slightly eccentric. It is also an album from a very underestimated band who deserve a lot more attention. I hope they will get this attention and you should all seek out their two albums.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment