Thursday 17 August 2017

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Chocolate Kings (1975)


The seventh album from this Italian band.

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) was a sextet on this album with a lineup of drums, flute, violin, keyboards, guitars and English vocals.

I have been reviewing their albums very sporadic over the last years. Reviews are here, here and here. I will now review the remaining PFM albums/you can find reviews of other PFM albums somewhere else in this blog.

I have always avoided the English language albums as they have been re-recording of Italian language albums. So no reviews. But Chocolate Kings is a true album with no re-recordings.

I rate their previous albums very highly. So I was looking forward to this one.

OK, the English vocals from the Acqua Fragile vocalist Bernardo Lanzetti feels strange. They reminds me very much about Peter Gabriel and takes the band in that direction. Yes also props up as a good reference. But old PFM can only be heard in the flutes and a few bits and bobs along this thirty-seven minutes long album.

I am not hearing much Italian symphonic prog either. This album sounds like an English symphonic prog album with a lot of Kansas elements thrown into the mix too.

I am disappointed. But this is still a good album and one I am reasonably happy with. It is not one PFM album I want to remember them for.

3 points 


No comments:

Post a Comment