Friday 2 June 2017

Red Sand - 1759 (2016)


The seventh album from this Canadian band.

Red Sand was a quartet on this album with a lineup of piano, guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and English vocals.

I have a bit of a soft spot for this band. I quite like their arty, quirky art-work and I like their music a lot. Their location, Quebec, also hits one of my soft spots. I am a fan of this Quebec scene.

Red Sand is not one of those jazzy Quebec bands and is strictly speaking not a member of the Quebec scene. They are a pure neo-prog band. You can read my reviews of two of their earlier albums here and here.

The band has developed from being a Marillion clone to being a good neo-prog band in the vein of Pendragon, Arena and Shadowlands.

1759 is a concept album about the fight over Quebec. The Battle Of Quebec as described in this Wikipedia link.
That is indeed an interesting story and I have read the Wikipedia story with great interest. Three songs, including a twenty minutes long suite, takes us back to 1759.

The concept is indeed a very good concept. All credits to Red Sand for bringing this part of the history to our attention (Yes, I am a history buff...).

The music.......... There is no really great songs here and no real great pieces of music here either. Red Sand is one of those bands who are struggling to write great music. But I like this album a bit better than their two previous albums. That said........ Same amount of points again.

3 points  

No comments:

Post a Comment