Saturday 24 February 2018

Anubis Spire - Divining Rod (2017)


The fifth album from this US band.

Anubis Spire is a quartet with a lineup of drums, percussion, guitars, bass and vocals.

This is my first ever meeting with this band and their music.... or so I thought. But I have actually reviewed their third album, the 2016 album Between The Two Eternities, back in September 2016. You can read my review here.

The band has cut back to a quartet here, from what I understand. There is not much I understand about this band so I may be wrong.

The band has always been unpredictable and outside any genres and scenes, from what I understand from other reviews.

Oh boy is Divining Rod an example of doing your own things. This album is almost an album of different genres. From the depressive British indie rock/pop Here's That Love Song who reminds me a lot about The Smiths to a space rock runout on Breathless. If I am not mistaken, we even have a cover version of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride.

Add some Americana, progressive rock and heavy prog here too and you get the picture. Well, maybe not. It is difficult to describe this album in words. Just be prepared for a sonic surprise. All this packed into fifty-three minutes.

I am not really won over by this band and album. The reason is the lack of quality. There is a couple of good songs here. The rest is not so good. Hence my rating.

2.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment