Friday 30 March 2018

Nine Skies - Return Home (2017)


The debut album from this French band.

Nine Skies is a nine piece big band with a lineup of guitars, bass, piano, saxophones, keyboards, drums and vocals.
A guest musician provided flutes on one song.

I have never heard about this band before and I believe this band is rather more a studio project than a band. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Nine Skies plays a sort of neo-prog.

Their music is pretty theatrical, with a nod to Ange, and a bit jazzy. There is also a lot of Marillion influences here and a influences from Robert Reed and his Sanctuary albums. Not to mention some Middle-East folk rock and symphonic prog influences.

The vocals are good and ditto for the guitars. The sound is very big throughout this almost one hour long album.

The music is good throughout. My only gripe is the absence of a great song. Nevertheless, this is an album well worth checking out.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment