Sunday 24 September 2017

Black Jester - Welcome to the Moonlight Circus (1994)


The second album from this Italian band.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of guitars, keyboards, bass, drums and English vocals.

The band released three studio albums before they gave up the ghost. I did actually review their 1992 debut album Diary Of A Blind Angel back in August 2011. My review of that album is here.

Black Jester was a progressive metal band whose two first albums has got a legend status. I got no idea why. I am no fan of progressive metal and can hardly stand that genre.

OK, there are some acceptable albums out there in that genre which even I can tolerate and even like. When that is said.....

Welcome To The Moonlight Circus is a forty-seven minutes long album with all the progressive metal cliches..... and ills.

The guitarist tries to sound like Yngwie Malmsteen with some neo-classical solos. The drums, keyboards and bass is pretty generic and the vocalist should never have entered a studio and a vocals booth. He is pretty terrible.

The songs are not too bad. I have heard a lot worse progressive metal than the music on this album. But there is too many negatives here and I cannot ignore them.

1.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment