Tuesday 9 January 2018

Deluge Grander - Heliotians (2014)


The third album from this US band.

Deluge Grander was a sextet on this album with a lineup of drums, flute, bass, cello, dulcimer, fender rhodes, mellotron, guitars and vocals. Both male and female vocals.

I have previously reviewed their debut album, the 2006 album August In The Urals for ProgArchives. You can read my review here. I am getting their second album, the 2009 album The Form Of The Good which I hope to review later this winter.
I have also got their 2017 album Ocenarium which I will review later this month/you can find my review of their new album somewhere else in this blog.

I really loved their 2006 album August In The Urals and I cannot understand why it has taken me until now to review the rest of their albums. I guess I have been confused with all these albums I have got and have lost track.

Heliotians sees the band move towards the sound the other Emkog Records band which I love had. The band was All Over Everywhere who only released one album. Their sound and in particular their vocals was very downtuned. Deluge Grander has copied that on Heliotians.

The music is pretty dark and not too far away from Van Der Graaf Generator's music. But Deluge Grander has a lot more baroque and more jazzy sound and music.

There is a lot of details on this rather difficult album, listening wise. I can see what the band is trying to achieve. But they have not achieved it. It falls down a bit on the lack of some great songs. There is none here.

Nevertheless, this is a good album and one very strange one. Melodic, but very eclectic.

3.5 points




No comments:

Post a Comment