Wednesday 27 September 2017

Solution - Cordon Bleu (1975)


The third album from this Dutch band.

Solution was a quartet on this album with a lineup of drums, bass, string synth, organ, piano, guitar, saxophones, flute, percussion and vocals.

I liked their 1971 self-titled debut album a lot. See my review here.  I have missed out on their 1972 album Divergence although I may get and review that one on a later date.
I have got this, the Cordon Bleu album and their 1977 album Fully Interlocking. I will do a review of Fully Interlocking sometimes soon/you can find a review of that album somewhere else in this blog.

Cordon Bleu is a continuation of their debut album.... sort of.

There is not much symphonic prog here. Instead, they have moved towards funk and mainstream US rock in addition to a very big chunk of jazz and fusion. Jazz and fusion is the mainstay of this album.

The beating bass, the driving saxophones and the pulsating keys is great here. The vocals is also very good and this album is at times one big party because of the musicians playful delivery of the music.

The rock parts, which is very cool and melodic, is really cool. There is a lot of different styles and genres here. But they all fits into one unity, one album, one piece of music.

That makes this album pretty special in my mind. It is also a bit difficult to review....

Nevertheless, this is a very good album. My only gripe is the lack of one great song. Check out this album and have fun.

3.5 points


No comments:

Post a Comment