Sunday 10 December 2017

Eloy - The Vision the Sword and the Pyre # I (2017)


The 19th album from this German band.

Eloy was a quartet on this album with a lineup of guitars, keyboards, bass, drums and vocals.
A female voice provided spoken words and narrations.

Frank Borneman is back again with an idea he has been working on for the last 25 years. The two parts rock opera about Jeanne D'Arc. This is a French, indeed world wide heroine who saved France from the English invaders.

Between 2011 and 2015, I reviewed all the Eloy albums for both ProgArchives (two first albums) and # 1 of this blog. A very interesting journey, indeed. Not all their albums was any good. But some of their albums was very good and even great. I am a bit of a fan of this band, I guess.

Their 2009 album Visionary was a return to form. It was a return to the good old Eloy too. Something I very much welcomed and still welcome.

The Vision The Sword And The Pyre # 1 is very much a rock opera. But this is still on Eloy and Frank Borneman's terms and conditons. That means the music is a mix of psych and symphonic prog. A mix of krautrock and symphonic prog. That is indeed a good sound and a great type of music..

This album is very much in the spirit and sound of Eloy as I would like to regard and remember them. Even though rock opera is not my type of music.

The music on this one hour album is indeed good. Some of the music is overblown. But the overall quality is good. I am very much looking forward to # 2 and the final chapters of this rock opera.

3 points


No comments:

Post a Comment