Monday 16 April 2018

Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen (1972)


The second album from this German band.

Ash Ra Tempel was a trio with a lineup of guitars, electronics, organ, drums, bass and vocals.
They had help from three guest musicians who provided sax, jaw harp, percussion, vocals and bongos.

Ash Ra Tempel is doing spaced out krautrock and is regarded as one of the best bands in that genre. Well, in the whole of the krautrock genre.

I reviewed their 1971 self-titled debut album two weeks ago and you can read my review here. More Ash Ra Tempel albums reviews will follow/you can find my other Ash Ra Tempel albums reviews somewhere else in this blog.

Klaus Schulze had left the band before this album was recorded and the band was on their own here.

This forty minutes long album starts out with a very good twenty minutes long piece, divided in two parts. The first part is more ambient. The second part is full on attack with growling vocals and lots of distorted instruments.

The second part of this album, side B on a LP, is more ambient and pastoral. This one is a grower and it has been growing on me, each time I have put this album on.

I am still not won over by this album or this band. Nevertheless, this is a good album from a band I find more and more fascinating.

3 points

 


1 comment: