Saturday 10 February 2018

Phillips. Simon - Protocol 4 (2017)


The 16th solo album from this British drummer and member of Toto.

This album was recorded by a quartet with a lineup of guitars, keyboards, drums and bass.

I am still not really into the very intricaties of hardcore jazz and I feel that I am on a very thin ice when I am trying to review an album from a jazz solo artist. Bands is also a familiar thing to me and I have reviewed a lot of fusion albums from bands.

His homepage is here and I have now discovered he is the drummer in Toto. Gosh........ I am just reading his discography now and he has been involved in everything.

That explains why this album sounds so professional. The four highly skilled and well known musicians here has, put together, 200 years experience as record artists and musicians.

And they have put this to good use here. This album is one heck of a racket. There is a lot of guitar, bass and keyboards solos over a solid beat from Simon Phillips. The drums are precise and full of fills.

The musicianship is very impressive. There is no real great pieces of music here though and this album is a bit of run of the mill fusion album.

That aside, this is indeed a good album from four veterans in the scene. Check it out.

3 points





No comments:

Post a Comment