Monday 15 January 2018

Kandahar - In the Court of Catherina Squeezer (1975)


The second album from this Belgium band.

Kandahar is a quartet on this album with a lineup of strings, clavinet, keyboards, saxophones, guitars, bass, drums, glockenspiel, tympani, cello, tambourine, piano, synths, marimba and vocals.

I was not impressed by their debut album, the 1974 opus Long Live The Sliced Ham. You can read my review here.

I was not impressed by Long Live The Sliced Ham as it was a a bit of a mess. So I was not too keen on reviewing this one....

Kandahar plays fusion with a great deal of woodwinds. Saxophones etc etc. Influences comes both from the Quebec scene and the British scene. That also includes the Canterbury scene. The band has gotten rid of the Gong influences though. Instead, there is a lot of Colosseum and King Crimson (debut album) influences here. There is also some sparse vocals here too. There is also some female choirs here.

This album is a pastoral fusion album with some half-acoustic guitars driven melodic songs who is also full of interesting details.

This album is a grower. I did not rate it at all during the first listening session. I started to like it more and more on the next listening sessions. This album is a bit of a slog.

This forty-five minutes long album has slowly and shameless invaded my mind. So much that I now understand it. That is why I rate it as a good album and one to check out.

3 points


No comments:

Post a Comment