Monday 26 March 2018

Pymlico - Meeting Point (2016)


The fourth album from this Norwegian band.

Pymlico is quintet with a lineup of bass, bass synths, keyboards, guitars, saxophone, piano, drums, percussion and voice.
The band had help from some other musicians who provided trombone, saxophone, trumpet and guitars.

I have reviewed their first three albums and I have liked them. You can read my review of their previous album, the 2014 album Guiding Light here. The review also have links to my reviews of the first two albums. 

The band has always operated somewhere in the symphonic prog landscape with some pretty notable fusion influences.

This too is the case for this album. There is a notable difference though.

This album is sliding towards lounge-fusion and easy-listening music. Dare I say it.... elevator muzak. Well, they are not there yet. But some of the music here is pretty light on substance.

There are also other parts where the band sounds like the good old Pymlico. But I am worried about the development of this band. Too much light and commercial sounding music. Not enough substance. Hence my rating.

2.5 points




No comments:

Post a Comment