Tuesday 16 January 2018

Orvalians - The Great Filter (2017)


The debut album from this French band.

Orvalians is a quartet with a lineup of rhodes, synths, drums, bass, mandoline, guitars and English vocals.

I spotted this album and band on a list of new zeuhl bands and album. A very short list, it has to be said. Zeuhl is a genre with very few bands and albums.

The band consists of three members from Rhun, a fully fledged zeuhl band. The fourth member has no experience, as far as I know.

So some zeuhl was in order, I thought. I was really looking forward to listening and reviewing this album.

That is not what I got.

OK, there is some zeuhl here too. But most of it is garage psych, eclectic prog in the vein of King Crimson and some post-punk. And a lot of avant-garde music. The music on this album is somewhere between avant-garde and eclectic prog.

The music is a bit harsh inbetween some more melodic stuff. This forty minutes long album operates on this level with distortions and melodies.

The end result is a good album which I find interesting and lively. Check it out if this is your cup of tea.

3 points









No comments:

Post a Comment