Monday 1 January 2018

Hamadryad - The Black Hole (2017)


The fourth album from this US band.

Hamadryad is a quartet with a lineup of keyboards, drums, bass, guitars and vocals.

The band debuted in 2001 and I reviewed their third album, the 2010 album Intrusion back in June 2014 for # 1 of this blog. You can read my review here.

I did not expect a new album from this band. But here it is. I was not impressed by Intrusion and did not have much hope when I started to listen to this album.

The Black Hope offers up fifty minutes of progressive rock.

The music here is a mix of progressive metal, neo-prog and eclectic prog. The music also has an American sound. Big and bould sound in other words. The vocals are pretty typical American. The guitars are chugging and in the progressive metal mould. The guitars are very hard too. The keyboards are in the 1970s Hammond organ style.

In short, this is pretty eclectic stuff. The music is full of intricate details in some pretty long songs. The longest one is topping ten minutes.

I am not overly impressed by this album. On the other hand, the music is good and the details makes this an interesting album. Hence my rating.

3 points


No comments:

Post a Comment