Thursday 25 January 2018

Eela Craig - Eela Craig (1971)


The debut album from this Austrian band.

Eela Craig was a sextet with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums, saxophone, organ, flute, keyboards and vocals.

The band released six albums before they split up and I have got a handful of them. All to be reviewed shortly/you will find reviews of their other albums somewhere else in this blog.

I first thought this bandname was taken from the piece of rock between Ireland and Scotland. But I have now discovered that rock is called Ailsa Craig. I can almost see it from my house. Based on that mistake, I got a handful of their albums. Something I do not regret.

Eela Craig is listed as a fusion/jazz band in ProgArchives. I have heard others describe this band as a symphonic prog band again. I am confused...

..Well, not any longer based on what I hear on this album. There is indeed a lot of both fusion and symphonic prog. The saxophones dominates the more fusion and jazzy tracks here. The other tracks, the more symphonic prog tracks, are dominated by organs and guitars.

The music is very complex and heavy at times. It is also very eclectic and a bit avant-garde. This forty minutes long album has a lot of good stuff. But this album demand the full attention of the listener and it not an album a casual listener will find any good. Check it out !

3 points


No comments:

Post a Comment