Tuesday 31 October 2017

Opeth - Heritage (2011)


The tenth album from this Swedish band.

The band was a quintet on this album with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums, mellotron, wurlitzer, grand piano, organ, percussion and vocals.
Some other musicians has helped with flute, percussion and piano. Steven Wilson is credited for some producing here. 

I have been reviewing their albums on and off during the last months. You will find reviews of their albums in both this blog and in # 1 of this blog.
I have not been too eager to review their albums due to the zillions of other reviews their albums has got in ProgArchives and other magazines/blogs/websites. I prefer more obscure and pure fusion/prog/folk albums and bands than Opeth. I say that with all respect to Opeth. I have massive amount of respect for them.

Heritage sees the band shedding all the death-growls and death metal music. What we get instead is some sort of progressive rock. What kind of progressive rock has been a much debated issue.

I find them droning about too much on this album. I am relieved when this album breaks into some hard rock too and some more pastoral stuff.

I am really in doubt if this is a good or merely a decent album. But there is some good details here and I have found a lot more good stuff when I put my head into the speakers and gave it my 100 % attention. But it is still a weak good rating.

3 points

 

No comments:

Post a Comment