Tuesday 16 May 2017

Periferia Del Mondo - Un Milione di Voci (2002)


The second album from this Italian band.

The band was a sextet on this album with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums, percussions, violin, organ, synths, piano, woodwinds and vocals. Both English and Italian vocals.

I was not so happy about their fourth album Nel Regno Dei Ciechi from 2013. A bit messy album, I wrote in my review four years ago.

I get the feeling that this band is creating ultra-complex music as it's modus operandi. Un Millione Di Voci is another very complex piece of music.

The basis here is a mix of eclectic progressive rock and fusion. Add a lot of classical music too and you get this album.

Which is fine when these three genres are fused into one genre. On this one hour long album, we get one piece of eclectic prog, one piece of classical music and one piece of fusion. This on a random basis and repeated over and over.

Some of the pieces are rather good. But it is difficult following the wild ride this album is offering up. Being thrown of the album is something I am getting used to now. And I am not sure if I like it. Or for that matter, get the full meaning for this wild ride.

The good things are good here. But this album is too confusing, too unhinged and not really a good listening experience. Hence my verdict.

2.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment